St Patrick’s CYFC update

St Patrick's LFA

Welcome to our first update of the 2013/14 season. We’ve had a sabbatical of sorts from NewsFour since just before the end of last season but we’re back now to keep you updated on all things CY. In particular, through this publication, it’s important to keep our more senior supporters informed who may not have access to digital media.

There have been changes at the club since then. As you may recall, we had an interim management team in Ed Saul and Paul Andrews toward the end of last season. The guys did a fine job steering the team to safety in the league while also reaching the Metropolitan Cup Final which CY eventually lost 3-2 to Wayside Celtic.

However, the club felt it wise to formally advertise the managerial position and received great interest. Eventually after an intense interview process, Declan Roche was offered the position. His first instinct was to appoint Ed (Saul) as his assistant and Derek Bowden as Saturday team manager, with Paul Andrews also joining the coaching team.

Declan’s appointment is a departure from the club’s policy in the past to promote from within but it was felt a fresh approach was required and the new manager fits the bill perfectly. Declan has enjoyed a career as a professional player along with success as an amateur and holds various UEFA coaching qualifications.

So to the action, it’s been a mixed start to the league campaign for both our senior and Saturday sides. As we go to print, the senior side has played four, winning one and losing three but the beginning of the season has been hampered by a break in fixtures due to player availability. That, added to some injuries, has limited the options available to the new manager. The Saturday side have fared a little better in the League and have also progressed through to the next round of the Noel Ryan Cup.

On a final note, let us cast our minds back to just over twelve months ago! CY took on the famous Shamrock Rovers in what was dubbed the “Battle of Ringsend” in the Leinster Senior Cup Final. Rovers eventually won the game by a single goal to nil at Tallaght Stadium in front of a crowd of 1,800 spectators.

The picture above features the starting eleven, some of whom are currently out injured or have moved on to pastures new. Let’s hope we have many more such occasions to come and would like to wish the new management team all the best for the season ahead.

By David Nolan