A captain’s calling at Railway Union

Railway Ladies. Photo Courtesy of Railway Union

By Josh Fallon-Doran (Railway Union)

Railway Union at Park Avenue is home for a number of sports. On March 9th rugby was the main focus. It truly became a day to remember for the egg ball section.

Club captain Aoife Maher hosted the International Captain’s Day. Her invitation had gone out from Sandymount to teams in France, Spain, USA and for some local rivalry Wicklow.

Over 200 rugby players, therefore, descended onto the pitches for “International Captain’s Day”. Women and men’s squads alike, among them Los Papas and Biarnes Bears (France), Ossos Inef Barcelona (Spain), Washington State University (USA), Wicklow RFC and of course the hosts fielded their own Men’s and Women’s teams.

The blitz competition kicked off at 12pm. Sixteen hotly-contested games were played leading up to a 3pm finish. The Railway women’s side took their respective top spot, winning the women’s final, while French side, Biarnes Bears won the men’s category.

The sporty side of things was swiftly followed by mass indulgence in a host of cultural delicacies, ranging from foie gras and truffles from their French counterparts to black pudding and Hooch from their friends from Wicklow.

The party continued long into the evening, with plenty of singing and dancing. Many new friendships began and connections for future joint ventures and adventures were developed. Club captain, Aoife Maher, was happy as an eventful day came to a close. “[This] Saturday was a great day at the club. It was always going to be brilliant with so many different cultures. A big thank you has to go to the club and all those involved in organising what was a fantastic event.” 

Sadly, Railway president Charlie Hurley had passed away in January. His family came to the after-blitz party afterwards with a surprise. They brought with them an item, that Charlie Hurley had probably kept hidden away in the attic. It was the last jersey he had worn while playing for the club. Charlie  had joined Railway Union in 1958, played 24 seasons and togged out for his final game in 1982. He was a player, a captain, an honorary life member and a three-time president.

Charlie somehow managed to nick his jersey from his very last game as a personal token. With great delight, his grandson Sam now returned it to the Club House where it will surely find a special place.